RE: Kline article in PSCF

George D. Parks (gdp@ppco.com)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:25:03 -0600

Peter Vibert wrote:
>It's not allegorical, it's figurative - that is, the "days" are
>not to be taken as units of time, as the 7th day in particular
>demonstrates. Is THIS point defensible?

I hate to get involved and show my ignorance, but my interpretation of
Genesis 1 has moved to the figurative since I was shown what appears to be
the obvious theological organization. I'm sure that most are aware of this,
but since I haven't seen it spelled out, it might be useful for some who
haven't heard or seen it (assuming that I remember it all correctly).

Day Realm Day Occupants
1 Light & Darkness 3 Sun, moon, stars
2 Sky & Waters 4 Birds & Fishes
3 Dry Land 6 Land animals

The symmetry and plan are obvious. When I look at Genesis 1 in this light,
it seems that it's obviously written to show a creator creating the earth in
an orderly way. The account seems more figurative than scientific. To me
the intent seems not to show the actual process, but to communicate to the
reader that it was orderly and planned. The truth of creation is in no way
diminished by the fact that it is revealed in a figurative way.

George Parks
gdparks@galstar.com
gdp@ppco.com
* George D. Parks | office: (918) 661-7780 *
* 356 PL PRC | home: (918) 336-3041 *
* Phillips Petroleum | FAX: (918) 662-1097 *
* Bartlesville, OK 74004 | email: gdp@ppco.com *
* | or: gdparks@galstar.com *