Re: Kline in PSCF

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 20:39:45

Dennis Sweitzer wrote:
>Glenn wrote,
>
>>..... Neanderthal did engage in some very simple
>>artwork. But simple or no art work can not be used to rule people out of
>>humanity. ... A modern example might be the Amish.
>
>Living near Pennsylvania Dutch country, I can rule out Amish as an example
>of not having art. They definitely have lots of folk art (and it sells
> well
>to the tourists ! )
>
>The Amish are not primitive--they've just refused to partake of some
> modern technology that most of us take for granted.

OK. I blew it. :-) Does anyone know if the ultra orthodox Jews would fit
this? I mean do not make art. At the very least, they and the Moslems do
not engage in art involving people.

By the way, the earliest art object in the fossil record is from 330,000
years ago and is the Berekhat Ram figurine.(see Alexander Marshack, "On the
'Geological' explanation of the Berekhat Ram Figurine, " Current
Anthropology, 36:3 June 1995, p. 495 and Desmond Morris, _The Human Animal_,
New York: Crown Publ. 1994, p. 186-188

glenn