Re: Kline article in PSCF

Terry M. Gray (grayt@calvin.edu)
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 22:52:12 -0400

Glenn wrote:

>I most certainly agree with you Peter, that the internal evidence of the
>text must be considered. >But my cursory examination of the ancient record
>of Biblical interpretation suggests to me that >in the past no one read
>Genesis the way many do today. This would strongly suggest to me >that the
>"internal evidence" of the text alone, is not what is driving the game
>here. I feel (but >can not prove) that it is the external evidence which
>actually drives it. I most certainly may be >wrong, but if it is the
>language, then I would think that there should have been a considerable
>>difference among the Church Fathers about this issue. Keith Miller
>suggested that since the >time of Augustine the early chapters of Genesis
>were viewed non-literally. There was
>no citation to back up that assertion. If you know of some, I would be
>most interested in >them.

Glenn,

Here's a fairly recent discussion of the topic published in the Journal of
the ASA (now PSCF) a few years ago.

The Contemporary Relevance of Augustine's View of Creation
Young, Davis A.
PSCF 40.1 (3/88) pp. 42-45
Disciplines: theology Biblical studies church history literature
Adam science scientism Fall
day time death origin of mankind

Terry G.

Terry M. Gray, Ph.D. Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Calvin College 3201 Burton SE Grand Rapids, MI 40546
Office: (616) 957-7187 FAX: (616) 957-6501
Email: grayt@calvin.edu http://www.calvin.edu/~grayt