RE: Kline Article in PSCF

Peter Vibert (peter@hydra.rose.brandeis.edu)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:27:49 -0500

Glenn wrote:
>Point of fact: The YEC view IS a biblical model. If the scientific
>verification (or lack there of) is not a fact in rejecting their model then
>upon what basis can it possibly be evaluated? On what basis can it be
>rejected?
>
>If extra-biblical verification is not to be considered at all in assessing
>biblical models, then I would contend that any of the very numerous models are
>all just about equally good. I would then despair of ever knowing the truth.
>The various biblical models are usually fairly internally consistent and
>differ with each other in the expected extra-biblical consequences...
>
>If a biblical model is nothing more than a philosophical system which is
>totally encased in its own protective chrysalis and never touches the outside
>world, then to me, it is utterly useless.

- surely this is where some respect for professional fields other than our
own becomes essential. I do not have the training or years of experience in
biblical theology and OT exegesis that Meredith Kline has. Therefore when
he tells me something about the literary structure of Gn 1, I listen. And
when he tells me that eg. a YEC time-frame or a day-age model are
incompatible with proper exegesis of Gn 1, I take that seriously. As an
"amateur" exegete by comparison, I cannot "contend that any of the very
numerous [biblical] models are all just about equally good".

When people who know little science tell me that all models of biological
development are equally good, I know enough to tell them the truth -
they're not. That's my field. (Of course, as a pastor as well as a
scientist, I have a foot in two professional fields...well, maybe more like
a toehold on the mountain of OT scholarship...so I have a LOT of LEARNING
to do in my "second" field).

As evangelicals with a high view of the importance of Scripture, and a
belief that everyone can read it and expect God to speak to them through it
(by the work of the Holy Spirit as interpreter), we run the constant danger
of thinking that every person's understanding of the text is as good as
anyone else's... thus constantly reinventing the wheel on biblical
interpretation and failing to take advantage of centuries of scholarship.

Glenn - this is not a _personal_ 'flame'!! Because you write more than
many, you get to be point man in some of these discussions - but it is
certain that the views you express are held by MANY (I know; I deal with
this issue every week as a pastor and teacher - everybody is convinced THEY
know the right interpretation of any given scripture.)

("People who think they know it all annoy those of us who do...!").

Peter

Peter J. Vibert
Senior Scientist Interim Pastor
Rosenstiel Basic Medical The Congregational Church
Sciences Research Center in North Chelmsford
Brandeis University 15 Princeton Street
PO Box 9110, Waltham, MA 02254 N. Chelmsford, MA 01863

tel: (617) 736-4947 tel: (508) 251-1261
fax: (617) 736-2419
Int: peter@hydra.rose.brandeis.edu
WWW: http://www.rose.brandeis.edu/users/vibert