Re: historicity (was: Socrates and Jesus)

Stephen Froehlich (froehlik@physics.utexas.edu)
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 19:44:33 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996 PMJAQUA@pwinet.upj.com wrote:

> >No, it doesn't. Why would it? There are a few key, but very subtle
> >differences: God seeks me, not I seek God/Relaity. God reveals himself
> >to us, (not me) not we find out more about God. Et Cetera.
> >Do you see what I'm trying to drive at? My central worry is that
> >we're looking for the wrong kind of truth in all of this. Comments?
>
> OK. Here are my comments.
> The defense of Christianity differs from that other faiths because
> it is not based in subjectivity (e.g.- feelings, meditations). It is based
> in objectivity (e.g.- history, archeology).

What do you mean by defense? Also, would Islam not also stand up to
this arguement? What about all the Vedic claims that they are divinely
inspired? I know that the NT is the most reliable text of antquity, but
we can't instaneously discount everyone elses just because they don't fit
that standard. Its useful for defense of those attacks, most assuredly,
but still, why Christianity over the other choices on offering?

> As to the differences, they are not subtle and they are
> multitudinous. E.g.- reincarnation, salvation by works, the existence of
> hell.
> My central worry is that people often base their faith on less than
> the whole truth. Gene Hartquist hit it right on the head when he said,
> "..the historicity of the Bible is important. Faith in and commitment to
> Christ are important. And, the role of the Holy Spirit is VERY important in
> affecting a belief in Christ."

I see where you're coming from. Hmmm, basis of faith. Technically
our basis of faith should be God himself who has given us faith, but the
problem is how do we turn that into some with enough authority to
establish doctorine and ethics, so we can then proceed with theology from
there? I answer, like I'm sure everyone else here does, with Scripture,
Tradition, and Reason. (For me, in that order too.)
It is, though, strictly by faith that I do this. The only reason I
can come up with this formula personally (as I'm sure you're aware this
is far from original) is that Christians (and Jews for that matter)
throught history have done the same. Idears?

Stephen