Re: Relationships

PMJAQUA@pwinet.upj.com
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 16:59:31 -0500

On 3/20 Paul wrote:

>In fact, for those of you who are doing a lot of writing here, I would
>appreciate any additional information about how you came to believe, where
>you work, your family, your church, or any other personal data (but not >too
personal). Let's get acquainted before we end up flaming each other.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
I stopped going to church in as a teenager because everyone there
was just going through the motions of religion. Years later (about 1981)
my parents got me to go to their new church because, "You'd like this
pastor. He presents the Bible in such a clear, intelligent way." The
novelty of seeing an intelligent pastor intrigued me so I went. He was
indeed intelligent, clear and persuasive. After that I attended the
church's college group and discovered, for the first time, young people
with a vibrant faith. The discovery that one could be young, energetic,
intelligent, interested in science, happy *and Christian* convinced me to
give it a try myself.
This beginning in the faith is one reason that I am able to
remember that, for all my apologetics studies, the life I live is still my
strongest witness. As St. Francis put it, **"Witness the Gospel all the
time. If necessary, use words."**
There have been ups and downs (and one major, 4 month backslide)
since then but I'm still in the fight. Two verses that have helped me in
my walk the most are: II Cor. 12:9 and Col. 2:6,7.
My degrees are in immunology and microbiology with minors in
chemistry and cancer biology. I work at Pharmacia & Upjohn Inc., a large
pharmaceutical company, as a Research Associate. I helped in developing a
PCR based assay to measure viral load in AIDS patients undergoing
anti-viral therapy. Now I'm looking for a new challenge in the company.
I'm married (11 years) to a knock-out, drop-dead, gorgeous, blond
Dane who has a PhD in nuclear physics. We have four children aged 6(boy),
2(girl), 1(boy), and 4 months gestation (a girl we think).
As for church we are of the independent/non-denominational
persuasion. Our current church is an _Independent_ Baptist church. I'm
also involved in the local Promise Keepers task force.
Hobbies and interest include: Karate (I have a third degree in
Tae-Kwon-Do and experience in a variety of other styles); Apologetics;
History (various eras); Politics; Star Trek; and lately, investment
strategies (e.g.- Motley Fool and Warren Buffet).

OK. So now you know what a fascinating blabbermouth I am. Now I'd
like to get to know y'all. Especially a certain Research Phycisist in
Bethesda.

Mike Jaqua
Kalamazoo, MI
pmjaqua@pwinet.upj.com