Re: Time Mag article

PMJAQUA@pwinet.upj.com
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 16:21:18 -0500

Here is what I wrote earlier:
>Bryan's (Bishop) question regarding how we 2000+ scientists who believe in
>Biblical Christianity should respond is a good one. If someone on this
>list (or the scichr list) could figure out how to organize it I would like
>to propose that we draft a statement reflecting our belief in evolution,
>the age of the cosmos, and the Scriptures that we could all "sign" via
>e-mail. This statement could then be sent to TIME (and NBC in response to
>their show "The Mysterious Origins of Man"). Is such an action feasible?

Some responses to the idea were:
>This is an appealing idea, but I doubt that you could get agreement on any
>such statement. The ASA's "statement of faith" is intentionally broad,
>and I, for one, would not like to see the society attempt to go beyond it.

>I think it might potentially work if a carefully worded statement could be
>drafted that would make the necessary points while allowing for diversity
>of opinion on specifics.

So I propose the following:

First:
The ASA's statements of faith:
1. We accept the divine inspiration, trustworthiness and authority of
the Bible in matters of faith and conduct.
2. We confess the Triune God affirmed in the Nicene and Apostle's
creeds which we accept as brief, faithful statements of Christian doctrine
based upon Scripture.
3. We believe that in creating and preserving the universe God has
endowed it with contingent order and intelligibility, the basis of
scientific investigation.
4. We recognize our responsibility, as stewards of God's creation, to
use science and technology for the good of humanity and the whole world.

And:
From the ASA's statement of purpose:
Christians have often reacted as though science threatened the very
foundations of Christian faith. ASA's unique mission is to integrate,
communicate, and facilitate properly researched science and biblical
theology in service to the Church and the scientific community.
ASA members have confidence that such integration is not only
possible but necessary to an adequate understanding of God and His
creation. Our total allegiance is to our Creator. We acknowledge our debt
to Him for the whole natural order and for the development of science as a
way of knowing that order in detail. We also acknowledge our debt to Him
for the Scriptures, which give us "the wisdom that leads to salvation
through faith in Jesus Christ."
We believe that honest and open study of God's dual revelation, in
nature and in the Bible, must eventually lead to understanding of its
inherent harmony.
The ASA is also committed to the equally important task of
providing advice and direction to the Church and society in how best to use
the results of science and technology while preserving the integrity of
God's creation.

Finally:
A statement to the effect that there is room for a variety of
opinions in regard to the age of the earth, the means God used in creating,
and the time frame in which God accomplished His acts creation.

This is just a first draft/outline. Can we work with this?
Also I do not at all know how to arrange a means for us all to
"sign" a statement via e-mail. Can someone out there arrange something?