Re: Fermat's last theorem (was Godel's theorem)

Stephen Froehlich (froehlik@physics.utexas.edu)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:09:03 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Steve Anonsen/GPS wrote:

> This has nothing whatsoever to do with Godel's theorem or SETI, but I believe
> Fermat's last theorem was proven in the last two years. I believe it was the
> first such theorem proven by the extensive use of computation (if I recall the
> article on the subject correctly -- anyone have a reference?).

It was during my freshman fall sememster, which would make it Fall
'93. I do remember my math prof. at the time mentioning that it was
quickly shot down also.

I know the thing made the cover of Scientific American, so that's a
start. If'n you like, I'm sure I can ask a few people and get you a real
answer.

Stephen