Re: Socrates & Jesus

ken.w.smith@cmich.edu
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:40:28 -0500

Hi all,

At 07:20 PM 3/17/96 -0800, Steve wrote:
> I don't think the issue of manuscript dates is all that important in
>assessing what we know about either Jesus or Socrates. With one
>exception, the texts that we have about Jesus are not generally thought
>to have suffered significant corruption since their composition (the
>one exception is the account of Jesus in Josephus). I don't think there's
>much worry about changes to the texts about Socrates during their
>transmission either. Where the sources do differ is in how close their
>are to their subject. For Jesus, the closest clearly identifiable
>source is Paul, who reports second-hand information. For Socrates,
>the closest sources are Plato and Xenophon, both of whom knew him
>first-hand, and both of whom we can place independently. There's
>also a caricature (probably not a particularly fair one) of Socrates
>in one of Aristophanes' plays (_The Clouds_), written during Socrates'
>lifetime.
>
>As for whose teachings are more faithfully recorded, I think you'll
>get different answers from different people.

I don't understand the statement: "For Jesus, the closest clearly identifiable
source is Paul, who reports second-hand information."

What about John? He represents first-hand information (e.g. John
21:24-25).
Mark and Matthew probably include first-hand information.
Luke also includes second-hand information.

I'm suspicious of the phrase "clearly identifiable" in the above quote. If
it is used to rule out the four gospels then I have to disagree, and (at the
same time) point out that there have been challenges to the legitimacy of
Plato's writings.

I'm in danger of opening up quite a thread, I'm afraid... Should this topic
be taken elsewhere? (Shut me up before I began explaining why it is
*critical* we know the historical Jesus...)

Ken

-------------------------------- Past dialogue: -------------
>> Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 09:28:59 -0500
>> From: Ken W Smith <ken.w.smith@cmich.edu>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> At 09:21 PM 3/15/96 EST, you wrote:
>> >Question has arisn on a Compuserve forum -- is more known
>> >about Socrates than Jesus -- or vice versa. Has anyone a book reference?
>[...]
>> McDowell's book does discuss exactly this problem and claims the
>> oldest copy of the writings of Plato date to about 900 AD. Most of what we
>> know about Socrates comes through the writings of Plato.
>[...]
>> But if we try to restrict, say, to the century after the death of
>> the individual then it is an interesting problem. The next question is
>> still "What do we count?" Do we count just fragments from that time period
>> or do we allow later copies of things written from that time period? The
>> Beatty papyrus of John has been dated (by some) to about 125 AD and it was
>> believed that a fragment in the Dead Sea scrolls was of Mark, about 50-60
>> AD! I don't believe *anyone* claims there is a fragment on the writings of
>> Plato which date to within a century of Socrates' death.

Ken W. Smith, Professor of Mathematics
Interim Director, Office of Institutional Research "In the future
Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 computers may weigh
Work phone: 517-774-7222, fax: 517-774-4250 as little as 1.5 tons."
Home phone & FAX: 517-772-5042 Popular Mechanics, 1949