Subject: Missing Mass Solved!??
Author: "Paul Arveson" <arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil> at Internet-Mail
Date: 3/11/96 11:52 AM

Dear friends:

A friend of mine nearby here at NASA (the Hubble Space Telescope Science
Institute) recently passed along this information to me. It was suppressed by
NASA, for reasons that will be obvious once you read it.

First, a little background for the unitiated:
Modern astronomers and cosmologists have long been aware of one of the
glaring deficiencies of the modern 'big bang' theory of cosmology. That is, the
so-called 'missing mass' problem. Based on extrapolation of the current
expansion rate of the universe, which is between 50 - 100 kilometers per second
per megaparsec, there is not enough mass to "close" the universe in 4D
spacetime. The amount to close the universe is referred to as the Omega
parameter, which is now estimated to have a value of about 0.1. However, this
parameter is Extremely Close to the right value, especially considering the fact
that an expansion of over 10^50 has already occurred. (This is also related to
the so-called 'flatness problem'). It's like throwing a dart and having it land
only about a micron from the center of a bullseye on the other side of the
universe. So most physicists assume that there is some unknown mass that would
bring the mass up to its stable value of Omega=1.

The observed universe only adds up to 10% of the amount needed. But this is
only the well-illuminated objects like stars. There are of course possible
planets and dust, and other loose particles in space, but it doesn't seem likely
that this will make up the difference. Consider our own solar system: the total
mass of the planets is only 3 millionths of the mass of the sun -- and the sun
is a small star. Scientists have proposed all kinds of possibilities: MACHOs
(massive compact halo objects), WIMPs (weakly-interacting massive particles),
heavy neutrinos, and all kinds of other theories.

Now for the new discovery: the NASA scientist (I won't mention his name)
has found that the missing mass is concentrated in galaxies, it is not uniformly
distributed everywhere. In galaxies, it is concentrated in the population of
stars of the main sequence, which are like our sun -- where planets are most
likely to occur. In the main sequence, it is concentrated in class G2 yellow
stars, which are like our sun in age.

As my friend was pondering this, he was reading his Bible, and he came to
the passage about Elisha (2 Kings 6:17). Elisha asked the Lord to open his
servant's eyes, and he saw the city surrounded by a great army and chariots of
fire. This army of angels was there all the time! There are many other such
episodes in the Bible. My friend realized that angels would account for the
missing mass! In order to appear and disappear, it is sufficient for their
electronic structure to become neutralized temporarily. Light will then pass
right through them, and they will be able to pass through other matter. But
they will still have mass! That is what is detected in the galaxy -- the mass
of vast numbers of angels!

If this is correct, what are all those angels doing? My friend inferred
that they were involved with ministries to beings living on other planets
surrounding the main-sequence stars. We know by now that it is common, and even
normal, for a star to be surrounded by planets. Now we conclude that the
planets in turn are surrounded by millions of angels! They can't be seen,
except on special occasions, but they are there all the time, and their
accumulated mass more than outweighs the mass of the rest of the galaxy!

Of course when my NASA friend told me this, I thought he had gone off his
rocker. In fact the whole story appears to be so preposterous that I doubt that
anyone will believe it. But who knows? After all, angels are a popular subject
nowadays, and all kinds of junk spreads around on the Internet...

Paul Arveson, Research Physicist
73367.1236@compuserve.com arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil
(301) 227-3831 (W) (301) 227-1914 (FAX) (301) 816-9459 (H)
Code 724, NSWC, Bethesda, MD 20084