Re: "God of the Gaps"

jeffery lynn mullins (jmullins@wam.umd.edu)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:46:15 -0500 (EST)

Garry,

Indeed, if the SETI program were to obtain signals from other worlds that
are conclusively from a personal intelligence, they would count if as a
scientific discovery, and I don't think that the NSF would revoke their
funds for publishing a result that is non-scientific. I see no problem
with personal agency being used as an explanation in science, whether
natural or supernatural, if that is the way the event happened and the
evidence is obtained by objective evidence gathered by scientific means
(which I think anthropology gives an example of).

Jeff